Monday, May 7, 2012

First Look at the Veggie Garden

I've mentioned several times recently that the kids and I have designated this spot next to the porch as the future home of our veggie garden. It gets a decent amount of sun and I like that it is tucked away in its own little corner.


Well, I finally put my money where my mouth is and got to work. To be honest, my hubby did most of the digging because it was taking me forever! We planted zucchini, carrots, snap peas, cucumbers and a pepper plant.

The pepper plant came from Home Depot - it was a Bonnie Plant that you just tear the bottom off the container that it comes in and plant the whole thing in the ground.


The rest were Burpee seeds from Target.


And it's only been a week since everything was planted and look - sprouts! The kids are thrilled and I'm just happy that some of the seeds took. This is our first year doing it and I was concerned that I planted things too close together, but something is going right!


We have a lot of deer and rabbits (and other hungry animals) that like to eat flowers and other plants in our neighborhood so that's why we put that fence around the garden. I know it's not tall enough to really stop the deer, but I also got a deer repellent spray that is safe for vegetable plants that I will use once the plants get a little bigger. From what I've learned about it, the spray gives off a really bad odor so the animals don't want to get close and eventually learn to stop coming back. It got good reviews online so I'm hoping it is effective.

Have you planted a garden this year? What are you growing - vegetables or flowers? Any tips to keep unwanted visitors away? Please share!


Pin It

Linking up here:
Centsational Girl | It's Just Called Spicy |

3 comments:

  1. oh, good for you! i love this little designated space, it's like it was made for this veggie garden. one day, one day, we will have one! right now i just grow zucchini or eggplants in pots, but i get surprising amounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping over from the bloghop,love your veggies and I so wish that I could grow some. I planted tomatoes and basil but thats the extent of my veggies.The rabbits keep me on my toes here so I mostly do perrenials.Stop by wont you and see some blooms:) Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete